Four fire trucks and an aerial platform spent more than two hours fighting the flames that left a large hole in the roof.

The cause is not yet known and is under investigation.

Register now to our daily newsletter

The newsletter i cut through the noise

Firefighters are fighting the blaze.

Now the Manor House neighborhood labor advisers are demanding immediate action from the owner or council to secure the site.

The fire occurred just weeks after Hartlepool Borough Council served notice that it intended to carry out work in the pub to prevent unauthorized access.

Councilor Pamela Hargreaves said: “Fires like the one we have seen this week represent a clear and present danger to local residents and our first duty as councilors is to protect our community and the people who live there.

“The owner has to step in and take action and if they don’t, the board should secure the site and send them the bill.

The day after the fire at The Hourglass pub in Eaglesfield Road. Photo by FRANK REID.

“No one should have to live with this in their community. “

She and her fellow city councilor Ben Clayton had worked with city council and police to secure the building before the fire.

It resulted in the issuance by the town hall of a notice informing the owner of his intention to carry out the work necessary to secure the building.

The pub reopened under new management in January 2019, but has been empty for some time.

Left to right: Councilor Pamela Hargreaves, CPSO Paul Devonport and Councilor Ben Clayton at the abandoned pub.

The site is littered with broken glass and rubbish, including old furniture.

Cllr Clayton said: “It’s so frustrating that we were there just a few days ago and by working with council officers and the police we got enforcement action against the landlord to prevent incidents like this fire to occur.

“There can be no more delay. We need immediate action to make this building safe in order to protect residents.”

Cllr Hargreaves added that an investment was needed to redevelop the site in the long term.

Fire trucks from Hartlepool, Billingham, Stockton and an aerial platform in Saltburn responded to the blaze which was extinguished at 7.40pm.

Cleveland Police were also notified by firefighters and dealt with handling the crowds of people who had gathered.

A spokesperson said: “Investigations are ongoing.”

Read more

Read more

Outraged visitor to Hartlepool cemetery offers £ 500 reward for catching bench vandals

Support your mail and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest pool news, and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and access exclusive newsletters and content.

The Hartlepool Mail has been in town since 1877, and your support means we can continue to tell your stories for generations to come. Click here to subscribe.

Source link