Most people think that shutting down your laptop and putting it to sleep are the same processes, and to some extent they are, but when a computer is in sleep mode, all of its processes are running. execution are stored in RAM while it is turned off, they are completely dropped. Another difference is that the sleep on your PC is automated. This helps preserve battery life without stopping any task. You can also adjust the time intervals that you want your PC to go to sleep, but some users have reported errors with their sleep timer. They found that despite setting a timer, the PC does not go to sleep. Today we are going to discuss how, if you are facing this problem, you can fix it.
Sleep timer does not work on Windows 11/10
There are 4 ways to implement this fix if the sleep timer is not working:
- Check your sleep settings
- Use the power troubleshooter
- Prevent devices from waking up your computer
- Use Command Prompt to Check Power Requests
1]Check your sleep settings
If you find that the sleep timer is not working as you configured it, the first thing to do is to check the timer settings in Control Panel.
- Click on the search icon in your taskbar and open the control panel
- Here, click on Hardware and Sound> Power Options
- In the options bar on the left, select “Choose when to turn off the screen”
- You will see options to configure when to put your computer to sleep, both when it is charging and when in battery sleep.
- Save the settings as desired and exit the Control Panel
These settings may have been changed, in which case this will correct your error.
Read: different standby states of the system under Windows.
2]Use the power supply troubleshooter
A second solution to this problem is to use a Windows power troubleshooter. Microsoft provides troubleshooting features for some of its most frequently used utilities to provide quick fixes to them. Here’s how you can use the Power Troubleshooter.
- Press Windows keyboard shortcut + “I” to open Windows settings
- Scroll down a bit and click on the Troubleshoot option
- Select Other Convenience Stores
- Locate the location of the Power Troubleshooter and press the Run button next to it.
If there is a system error related to your power settings, this will notify you and give you an option to fix it.
3]Prevent devices from waking up your computer
Devices like your mouse or keyboard, when activated, wake up your PC. So you can also try to disable this setting from them. We’ll show how you can prevent your mouse from disrupting your PC’s sleep.
- Click the search icon on the taskbar and search for “Device Manager
- In the list of devices currently active on your PC, click Mice and other pointing devices
- Select the mouse you are currently using and expand its properties
- Click the Power Management tab at the top and clear the Allow this device to wake up the computer check box.
4]Use command prompt to check power requests
Another very likely reason for your computer’s sleep disruption is the demand for power that utilities may send. You can use the Command Prompt to find out which services are keeping your PC awake, and then turn off the ones you don’t think are needed. Here’s how:
- Find Command Prompt in taskbar search option and choose to run it as administrator
- Once the prompt window opens, paste the following line of code into it and press Enter:
- The results will be something as shown in the image below:
As you can see, none of my processes are causing power requests at this time.
Is sleep mode bad for the PC?
People often wonder if sleep mode is better or worse than shutting down your PC. While it’s easier to go to sleep, because all you have to do is close the lid, shutdown helps your PC perform self-tests, clear RAM, and alert you to upgrades. software updates.
Does sleep drain the battery?
While yes, it does draw battery power when in sleep mode, it’s pretty minimal. In sleep mode, your PC is in a low power state where power is only used to keep the state of the computer in memory. Starting up after sleep is very fast, but this rapid return motion consumes a considerable amount of power.
We hope this helps you!