The release candidate for iOS 14.7 was given to developers on Tuesday. It includes some promised improvements to the Apple card and allows users to use a just announced MagSafe battery pack. Additionally, it allows users to manage timers on a HomePod.
Additionally, the release candidate of macOS Big Sur 11.5, iPadOS 14.7 RC, watchOS 7.6 RC, and tvOS 14.7 RC have also been made available to developers.
“Release Candidate” is Apple’s new name for what was once called a “Golden Master”. This is the final beta sent out early for testing, before the general public has access to it. This is a sign that iOS 14.7, macOS Big Sur 11.5, etc. will likely be available in a week or less.
But these small updates shouldn’t be confused with iOS 15, macOS Monterey, and iPadOS 15, as they’re very significant upgrades planned for this fall.
What’s new for iPhone in iOS 14.7
iOS 14.7 will add new features for Apple Card Family, which allows a family to share the credit card. When available to the general public, two cardholders will be able to combine their credit limits and share a co-ownership account.
And iOS 14.7 is required to use Apple’s new MagSafe battery. This only applies to the iPhone 12 series, of course the Cards are the only MagSafe compatible handsets.
And the new version will allow users to manage timers on a HomePod smart speaker.
Not for everybody
Currently, candidate versions for iOS 14.7, macOS Monterey, etc. are reserved for developers. But if Apple follows its earlier habits, public beta versions will be there. In the meantime, to access these preliminary editions, you must join the Apple Developer Program, which costs $ 99 per year.
IOS 14.7 Release Notes
Although iOS 14.7 is still only a release candidate, its release notes are already available.
iOS 14.7 includes the following improvements and bug fixes for your iPhone:
- MagSafe Battery Pack supported for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple Card family adds the ability to combine credit limits and share a condominium account with an existing Apple Card user
- Home app adds the ability to manage timers on HomePod
- Air quality information is now available in Weather and Maps for Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, South Korea and Spain
- Podcast library lets you choose to see all shows or only watched shows
- Missing Share Playlist Menu Option in Apple Music
- Dolby Atmos and Apple Music lossless audio playback may stop unexpectedly
- Battery service message which may be gone after restart on some iPhone 11 models is restored
- Braille screens may display invalid information when composing email messages