Built in 1890, this James & Lister Lea pub on the corner of Bromsgrove Street and Bristol Street is a restored Victorian treasure called The Duke of Wellington Hotel & Bar
Most of Birmingham’s best remaining pubs date back to the later years of Queen Victoria’s reign or the turn of the 20th century.
New money and the demand for a different way of life followed the arrival of fresh water and the defeat of cholera.
On a site that had housed a pub since 1792, The Wellington was built in 1890.
Five years later, architects James & Lister led the entire row next door.
Today, the full restoration of The Wellington – now to be renamed The Duke of Wellington – is on pole position to capitalize on the five apartment buildings under construction next door on the site of the former Kent Street Baths .
Whether thanks to the patronage of builders, future residents, Birmingham Racecourse theatergoers, O2 Academy concert goers or visitors wandering the heart of the gay village of Southside, the Duke of Wellington should soon to become a family favorite. help regenerate the larger area.
As you’ll see below, The Wellington has already played a pivotal role in anchoring a tight ‘Shell Corner’ of the ’80s Superprix circuit.
Less than two years ago, the pub was boarded up – before being Grade II listed in November 2020.
It’s just a five-minute walk to the National Trust’s Back to Backs, one of the city’s top tourist attractions.